Monday, November 12, 2007

File Under: Breaking News, Writer Hates His Own Writing.

November is national Novel Writing Month. I usually don't find out or remember this until November is almost over. This year is different. I found out early signed up, and was all prepared. There was only one mitigating factor: I have been working on three novels in the last year. Ignoring for a moment the fact that none of them may ever be completed, starting a fourth as per the rules of the competition would just be crazy. So I have just decided to devote myself to working on one and doing as much as possible on that.

Then of course that specter that plagues any who dare undertake any creative endeavors rears its ugly head. The ghost of supreme self-criticism. Of course its probably better to think it's shit than to think you're the greatest poet since Shakespeare.

3 Comments:

Blogger G.C.C. said...

Even Stu Wolf, widely lauded as Shakespeare's successor and better, would likely agree that one should not call himself the next Shakespeare.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Wiglaf said...

well, at least you have writing.

3:41 PM  
Blogger WiL said...

You'd be surprised. Start that fourth novel, go through and finish it. After winning a NaNo, you go back to your other work and really evaluate it - WHY haven't I finished this? Is it because I'm addicted to brain crack? Is it because, deep down, it's not worth finishing to me? And either you'll finish drafting the novel or you will abandon it and not be ashamed to do so. It's unbelievably liberating. After winning, I abandoned the projects that weren't worth finishing to me and was able to finish the projects that were.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home